About Tim GibbonsA Little Bit About Your Consultant
Tim Gibbons — Consultant
Hours of TV Tim Has Worked On
Pilots, Specials and Series Tim Has Worked On
People Mentored by Tim
Years in the Business
Number of Pitches Pitched
All logos are copyright of their respective organizations.
I’m an award-winning television producer, director, writer and showrunner, best known as Executive Producer of HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm, Kevin Hart’s Real Husbands of Hollywood, and Betty White’s Off Their Rockers, among many other series. My latest comedy, Return of the Mac, starring Joey McIntyre, Donnie Wahlberg and Jenny McCarthy, is currently airing on Pop, a basic cable network co-owned by CBS and Lionsgate.
Creating, pitching, selling, writing, directing and producing shows since the early 1990’s (and in the business since the late 1970’s), I have worked with the Broadcast Networks (ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC), Premium Cable (HBO, Showtime, etc.), Basic Cable (VH1, MTV, BET, Spike, Comedy Central, Pop, IFC, etc.) and Streaming Networks.
I am a producer that the production companies, networks and studios often turn to when they need an experienced hand to help ensure a creative and smooth production, or when a production is in need of a more-seasoned producer, director or writer, to help less-experienced individuals deliver the show everyone involved wants.
Producers Guild of America (PGA)
- Former President (with Kathleen Kennedy)
- Current Vice President, TV
- On the National Board of Directors for over fifteen years
Television Academy (the Emmys organization)
- Governor, representing producers, for over nine years
- Formerly on the Executive Committee
- Chair and member of numerous committees
Writers Guild of America (WGA)
- Active member of the WGA, West
Directors Guild of America (DGA)
- Active director member of the DGA
AWARDS & NOMINATIONS
I am so fortunate to have received the following awards:
- Golden Globe
- Directors Guild of America (best comedy team) — twice
- Producers Guild of America’s Danny Thomas Producer of the Year — twice
- Producers Guild of America’s Charles B. FitzSimons Award (lifetime service award)
- NAACP Image Award
- Monte-Carlo Television Festival Award
- AFI Award Honoree
- …and many others
In addition to the above, I have also been nominated for the following awards:
- Emmys (six primetime Emmy nominations)
- Golden Globes (one additional nomination)
- DGA (five additional nominations)
- PGA (five additional nominations)
- NAACP Image Awards (one additional nomination)
- Monte Carlo Television Festival Awards (one additional nomination)
- …and many others
I have been mentoring fellow PGA (and the formerly AAP) members for more than 25 years, so I have a firm grasp on what people want — and need — to move their careers to the next level, as well as how to best impart the knowledge and self-confidence in your next move.
I started my television career as a Production Assistant at Dick Clark Productions, where I worked for four years, rising though the ranks and learning my basic craft. Through the years, I’ve delivered more than 1,400 hours of television on more than 135 series, specials, pilots and movies, including a four-year stint as Executive in Charge of Production for Lorimar/Telepictures in the 1980’s.
In the business for four decades, I still love learning about the art, craft and wonder of producing, directing and writing. I am constantly attending seminars, panels, symposiums, festivals, workshops and courses to stay abreast of industry trends and new knowledge.
I went from PA to Production Coordinator to Production Manager; to Segment Producer, Field Producer, Field Director to Line Producer, Executive in Charge of Production to UPM; from a creative Producer to Supervising Producer, Director, to Executive Producer, Writer, and Showrunner.
My path in television includes moving from non-fiction/awards/music concerts/reality/game/competition shows into scripted sketch shows, comedies and dramas.
I’ve worked in almost every type of television, having successfully worked on:
- Comedies (both single and multi-camera)
- TV movies
- Hidden camera shows
- Sketch comedy shows
- Improv-based comedies
- Awards shows (live and taped)
- Comedy/Variety shows
- Game shows
- Talk shows
- Reality shows
- Magazine shows
- Non-fiction shows
- Been an expert witness both in court and in depositions for a variety of TV-based trials and legal affairs
- Produced or been in scores of seminars, panels and public discussions about the television business
- Traveled around the world to speak at television conferences and festivals
- Been on the Comedy jury several times for the Monte-Carlo Television Festival