About Tim GibbonsA Little Bit About Your Consultant
Tim Gibbons — Consultant
Hours of TV Tim Has Worked On
Pilots, Specials and Series Tim Has Worked On
People Mentored by Tim
Years in the Business
Number of Pitches Pitched
About Tim Gibbons: I’m an award-winning television producer, director, writer and showrunner, best known as Executive Producer of HBO’s Curb Your Enthusiasm, Kevin Hart’s Real Husbands of Hollywood, and Betty White’s Off Their Rockers, among scores of other series and specials. My latest comedy, Return of the Mac, starring Joey McIntyre, Donnie Wahlberg and Jenny McCarthy, recently aired on Pop TV, a basic cable network co-owned by CBS and Lionsgate. I am currently in development on several series, as well.
Creating, pitching, selling, writing, directing and producing shows since the early 1990’s (and in the business since the late 1970’s), I have worked with the Broadcast Networks (ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC), Premium Cable (HBO, Showtime, etc.), Basic Cable (VH1, MTV, BET, Spike, Comedy Central, Pop, IFC, etc.) and Streaming Networks (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu), and more.
I am a producer that the production companies, networks and studios often turn to when they need an experienced hand to help ensure a creative and smooth production, or when a production is in need of a more-seasoned producer, director or writer, to help less-experienced individuals deliver the show everyone involved wants.
For hired-gun Executive Producer, Showrunner, Writer or Director gigs, please contact me directly.
Producers Guild of America (PGA)
- Former President (with Kathleen Kennedy)
- Former Vice President of TV
- On the National Board of Directors for over fifteen years
- Honorary lifetime membership bestowed with the Charles B. Fitzsimons Award
- Serves as the PGA’s Constitutionalist
Television Academy (the Emmys organization)
- Second Vice Chair for the Academy, for 2019-2021
- Governor, representing producers, for over 2009-2012, 2013-2018
- Also a member of the Executive Committee four times, including 2020 & 2021
- Chair, co-chair or member of numerous standing and ad hoc committees
Writers Guild of America (WGA)
- Active Member of the WGA, West
- Showrunners list
Directors Guild of America (DGA)
- Active director member of the DGA
- AAP (Association of American Producers) (former Chair and 10 year Board Member)
- Hollywood Radio & Television Society (former member 7 years)
- SAG-AFTRA (member, on honorary withdrawal)
AWARDS & NOMINATIONS
I am so fortunate to have received the following awards:
- Golden Globe (Best Television Comedy Series)
- Directors Guild of America (best comedy team) — twice
- Producers Guild of America’s Danny Thomas Producer of the Year — twice
- Producers Guild of America’s Charles B. FitzSimons Award (lifetime service award)
- NAACP Image Award
- Monte-Carlo Television Festival Award
- AFI Award Honoree
- …and many others
In addition to the above, I have also been nominated for the following awards:
- Emmys (six primetime Emmy nominations)
- Golden Globes (one additional nomination)
- DGA (five additional nominations)
- PGA (five additional nominations)
- NAACP Image Awards (one additional nomination)
- Monte Carlo Television Festival Awards (one additional nomination)
- …and many others
I have been mentoring fellow PGA (and formerly, American Association of Producers) members for more than 25 years, so I have a firm grasp on what people want — and need — to move their careers to the next level, as well as how to best impart the knowledge and self-confidence in your next move.
I started my television career as a Production Assistant at Dick Clark Productions, where I worked for four years, rising in the ranks while learning my basic craft. Through the years, I’ve delivered more than 1,400 hours of television on more than 140 series, specials, pilots and movies, including a four-year stint as Executive in Charge of Production for Lorimar/Telepictures (Warner Bros).
In the business for four decades, I still love learning about the art, craft and wonder of producing, directing and writing. I am constantly attending (and sometimes moderating or in) seminars, panels, symposiums, festivals, workshops and courses to stay abreast of industry trends and new knowledge.
I went from PA to Production Coordinator to Production Manager; to Segment Producer, Field Producer, Field Director to Line Producer, Executive in Charge of Production to UPM; from a creative Producer to Supervising Producer, Director, to Executive Producer, Writer, and Showrunner.
My path in television includes moving from non-fiction/awards/music concerts/reality/game/competition shows into scripted sketch shows, comedies, dramas and movies.
I’ve worked in almost every type of television, having successfully worked on:
- Comedies (both single and multi-camera)
- TV movies
- Hidden camera shows
- Sketch comedy shows
- Improv-based comedies
- Awards shows (live and taped)
- Comedy/Variety shows
- Game shows
- Talk shows
- Reality shows
- Magazine shows
- Non-fiction shows
- Expert witness both in court and in depositions for a variety of TV-based trials and legal affairs
- Extraordinary courtroom experience: See my appearance in “Long Shot“, a documentary about how a man on trial for homicide was freed through my testimony (and others’) by proving he was at Dodger Stadium while we were shooting “Curb Your Enthusiasm”. It currently airs on Netflix.
- Produced, organized or attended scores of seminars, panels and public discussions about the television business
- Traveled extensively around the world to speak at television conferences and festivals, as well as guest speaking and/or training producers
- Freelance creative and production consultant for TV networks and production companies around the world
- Been on the Comedy jury several times (both as foreman and member) for the Monte-Carlo Television Festival